In the recent past, the terms “tick tock” would mostly be used by late parents staring at their watches at their kids, clockmakers, and enthusiastic players of Super Mario 64. Currently, if someone searches the word “tick tock,” the response that comes up is a simple question of whether they meant tiktok.
TikTok has assumed a complete new meaning, capable of significantly boosting people’s businesses. TikTok is a social media application that has brought together many users worldwide, particularly the younger generation. TikTok’s addictive short video material has been a key contributor to its rising fame in social media, and sequentially, a great marketing social platform. Interested to find out whether TikTok has your audience? From influential personalities to trend-starting dancers, the following include major TikTok demographics and how an advertiser might target them for the benefit of their business.
Who Uses TikTok?
Notably, most people that create the vibrant material on TikTok are mainly young individuals. Nevertheless, the application’s user base is widening broadly, traversing ages, continents, and races, hence creating TikTok advertising opportunities for development-focused businesses.
Considering the average of 52 minutes per day that users spend on TikTok, it is not very difficult for advertisers to catch the attention of the appropriate person. To explore a marketer’s potential target clients, let us look at TikTok’s consumer base.
Novelty is one of the most incredible advantages of TikTok. Being a social channel, TikTok is certainly an element of the young generation, attracting young consumers with its creative, personalized, and unfiltered content.
Since April 2021, TikTok’s user base ages in the U.S.A were as follows:
- Less than 18 years – 22%
- 18 to 29 years – 48%
- 30 to 49 years – 22%
- 50 to 64 years – 4%
- 65 years and above – 4%
Based on the above data, it is clear that TikTok is mainly a youth-oriented platform. Even though user ages are becoming diverse since the launch of application in 2018, TikTok is an ideal channel for businesses whose target audiences are Millennial and Gen Z.
In case an advertiser is looking for additional global reach, it is also beneficial to be aware of TikTok’s global user facts:
- Total worldwide users – 732 million
- Ages of 16 to 24 years, worldwide – 42% of the total users
- Below 30 years, worldwide – 60% of the total users
- 45 years and above, worldwide – 7% of the total users
Generally, TikTok is comparatively secretive with information regarding its users’ racial demographic analysis. Nevertheless, based on a report by Pew Research Center after examining the application’s fame among users in the United States, the following represents the proportion of adults using TikTok as per their racial backgrounds:
- 31% are Hispanic
- 30% are Black
- 18% are White
Presently, women have been dominating TikTok, in terms of consuming and creating TikTok content. TikTok’s worldwide user base according to their genders is as follows:
- 59% females
- 39% males
- 2% other genders (gender fluid, non-binary, etc.)
Similarly, America’s consumer base is divided, with 61% of TikTok users in the female category and 39% in the male category.
An additional encouraging characteristic of TikTok is its international popularity. Ever since 2018, the application has reached users within 154 nations, displaying serious prospective in the global marketing platform.
First off, here is how TikTok has been performing in various geographical areas:
- Asia – given that TikTok was invented in China, it is logical that Asian marketplaces lead TikTok’s user base. TikTok leads among most downloaded applications in Southeast Asia, with more than 300 million people downloading the app and 198 million TikTok users. In China only, more than 600 million audiences use TikTok (known as Douyin, its inventive name under the Chinese media corporation, ByteDance) every day.
- North America – United States is considerably the major leading North American market for TikTok. As of the year 2020, the United States comprises 65.9 million TikTok users out of the 105 million TikTok users in North America. Moreover, American users are particularly active, spending 68 minutes on average on TikTok per day.
- Latin America – Even though TikTok is less famous in the area compared to many other regions, the application had 64 million users from Latin America in 2020. Comparing this figure to the 3 million TikTok Latin American users in 2018, it would be difficult to overlook the significance of Latin America’s market.
- Europe – European nations have less yet steady audiences of TikTok. Out of Europe’s 98 million total TikTok users, Russia has 16.4 million users, France has 9.3 million users, Germany has 9.1 million users, and the UK has 8.5 million users.
The greatest striking detail is that TikTok accrued a worldwide following totaling to 732 million dynamic users monthly within only three years after the application was launched in 2018. Comparatively, it took Instagram six years and Facebook four years to accrue a similar total of global users. The growth will not stop. By 2022, the application is projected to have increased its users to one billion people.
Therefore, although TikTok may be the hippest social media channel currently, it is here to stay, and it is anything but not a problem on the marketing radar. TikTok is international, extensive, and progressively diverse.
How to Use TikTok as a Brand
Advertisers that are eager to access impressive audience on TikTok have some options. Tiktok gives access to businesses through three major ways:
- User-generated material – Business platforms gives businesses the opportunity of uploading their TikToks and interacting with other app users, in a similar manner to a person. Creative, humorous, and persuasive content is particularly possible to gain grip among young audiences who seem to command in-app tendencies.
- Influencer advertising – In case there is a specific TikTok content creator that equals an advertiser’s target audience or brand, then their business may partner with the creator through TikTok’s Creator Marketplace.
- Ads – Although this is only available for specific countries, various brands may pay TikTok to display several advertisement content on its users’ feeds.
To get to a large number of audiences, most brands pool the above techniques in some manner. Let us evaluate the details of every strategy in terms of how to market on TikTok.
As every company owner is aware, branding is basically real deal. Fortunately, TikTok is the best platform to form a professional brand online, whereby someone’s business is able to make videos which highlight their humor, values, style, and aesthetics.
To begin, you require a TikTok business account rather than a content creator account. The business accounts give access to professional materials such as:
- Audience and performance and data
- Business content guide by TikTok
- A royalty-free and profitable music library
- The Web Business Suite that contains content guidelines and data
Once you have a business account, then you may begin making and sharing your content, which implies short videos with a maximum length of three minutes. Currently, the most popular video categories to the least popular are as follows:
- Fitness and Sports
- Home Renovation and DIY Projects
- Beauty and Skincare
Either on the ‘searchable Discovery page’ or ‘scrolling For You feed,’ TikTok users get accurately organized content. Each comment, like, action, and share informs each user’s TikTok algorithm. Eventually, this helps companies put their paid ads and organic content for viewing by the most feasible TikTok users.
From this, additional options such as direct advertising and influencer marketing open up.
Just like Youtube or Instagram, TikTok also offers companies the opportunity to collaborate with various influencers, that is, content creators who have reputable followings.
On the app, companies are able to choose influencers in the Creator Marketplace, which is a special database that contains crucial information regarding TikTok’s certified creators. While selecting an influencer, marketers should consider a creator’s:
- Channel content
- Their total following
- Their engagement indicators such as shares or likes
- Their audiences’ demographics
- Their pertinence
The correct influencer sharing appropriate content might expose your business to the target audience and considerably improve business.
Just recall the intrinsic dissimilarities between TikTok traditional ads and influencer posts. In simple terms, teenagers and younger adult TikTok users presently leading the social application have less tolerance for “salesy” or false material on their feeds. For this young demographic, you will need to keep things real, particularly if you choose an influencer who is recognized for unfiltered uprightness.
Being the latest marketing prospect, TikTok’s direct advertisements show remarkable promise. Over 25,000 users, 67% admitted that TikTok advertisements draw their curiosity, giving the app a 10% lead in comparison to the other social channels. Moreover, 72% of TikTok viewers admitted that the app’s advertisements are “inspiring.”
TikTok users are not only watching advertisements, but also love them.
The most interesting part about TikTok ads is that they are extremely targeted. TikTok’s Ad Group function allows companies to drive their promotions towards particular user demographics, for instance:
- Location or placement
- Age group
- Interest classification
After you establish an Advertisement Group, you may run multiple ads or a single ad depending on detailed demographic data.
The four major types of ads offered on TikTok include:
- In-feed advertisements – Just like Instagram ads, these advertisements come up at the center of the user’s ‘For You’ scroll. Businesses frequently create short, snappy, and trendy videos for their in-feed advertisements, intended to instantly entice the viewer.
- Branded hashtags challenges – This is a TikTok’s exclusive opportunity that appears on the Discover page. If your business intends to trigger a vibrant trend, you may “challenge” your followers to create videos using a branded hashtag that is associated with your business. Although these hashtags are expensive (approximately $150,000 for six days advertising), they are an effectual and organic advertisement tactic, with possibilities of appealing to all age groups and demographics.
- Branded effects – We all know that filters are common camera effects that creators use, mostly in a “selfie” style amongst Gen Zers. Custom effects are a good strategy for companies to lure users to relate with their brands, similar to branded hashtags.
- Brand takeover advertisements or TopView – When an advertiser opens TikTok and “https://powerdigitalmarketing.com/blog/five-tips-for-your-tiktok-marketing-strategy” they instantly see an ad video, which is a TopView advertisement. This technique creates mandatory advertisements with key engagement potential, usually comprising hashtags and clickable links. Even though costly, they are extremely effective. TopView is ranked as number one on TikTok’s advertisement engagement index, and 71% of consumers admit that they catch their attention.
Take TikTok by Storm with Power Digital Marketing
Certainly, TikTok belongs to the young people, but this does not imply that you cannot be successful. With the increasing audience across age brackets and nations, TikTok is only getting started to demonstrate its real marketing value. Additionally, you can use Power Digital Marketing to develop a TikTok advertising strategy that TikTok’s cool kids would love. Regardless of the platform being costly, Power Digital Marketing owns the tools and know-how to facilitate the success of your company online. Discover our expert digital advertising services today.
- Business of Apps. TikTok Revenue and Usage Statistics (2021). https://www.businessofapps.com/data/tik-tok-statistics/
- Pew Research Center. Who uses TikTok, Nextdoor. https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/chart/who-uses-tiktok-nextdoor/
- NME. TikTok users watch app for average of 89 minutes per day. https://www.nme.com/news/tiktok-users-watch-app-for-average-of-89-minutes-per-day-2923460